At this time we are no longer accepting new applications and will be contacting those individuals who move on to the first round of interviews as soon as possible.
This is an opportunity for someone who is passionate about both local food and the community to work in an exciting, engaging environment. The successful candidate will manage the operations of a Market dedicated to growing the network of local food producers, entrepreneurs, consumers, and community developers. We are looking for an individual who is self-motivated, highly organized, creative, and professional. The ideal candidate would enjoy interacting with vendors, customers, musicians, and members of the public – all while working in a largely unsupervised, self-directed role.
Excellent communication skills and proficiency with social media management are essential. Ability to use Microsoft Word & Excel (or their equivalent is required). Previous management experience is considered an asset but is not required.
This is a full-time term position running from April 1st, 2018 to December 22nd, 2018.
As the Antigonish Farmers’ Market Association is currently working on the launch of a fundraising campaign towards the construction of a dedicated Market building, this position has the possibility to transition to year-round employment with compensation being adjusted accordingly.
The manager will represent the market to the market’s vendors, the consumers, and to the community.
Before the Market Day
- Organize and solicit entertainment for each Market day
- Recruiting and record keeping of market vendors, musicians and community organizations (experience with Word and Excel and access to a computer is required)
- Respond to phone or email queries in a timely fashion
- Maintain a database of existing and potential vendors and actively work to maintain as close as possible to a 100% capacity for Market days through careful scheduling and the maintenance of a weekly waiting list
During the Market Day
- Primary responsibility is the day-to-day operation of the Farmers’ Market. This will include an on-site presence at the market during all market hours from 630am to 230pm on Saturdays, as well as off-site work during non-market hours.
- Set-up (and take down) off-site Market signage
- Guide new vendors to their assigned stalls and manage placement of existing vendors
- Arrange Market tables and displays to accommodate any weekly changes in layout
- Monitor the parking lot and relevant signage
- Collect all vendor fees, keeping an accurate accounting each week, and depositing the funds in the Market account
- Ensure all rules and regulations are adhered to by vendors and customers
- Communicate effectively with vendors and the public by maintaining a highly visible presence on the floor during each Market
- Resolving any disputes that may arise and work to anticipate areas of potential concern each Market
- Conduct regular spot counts of public Market attendance to assess public engagement
- Ensure the Market grounds and site are clean after closing and the vendors have left for the day
- Develop and maintain a strong social media presence for the Market using existing online platforms
- Update website content (e.g. vendor bios, events calendar, weekly vendor attendance, and news)
- Act as a point of contact for individuals participating in the Market’s fundraising efforts towards a new building
- Attend monthly Board meetings and ongoing communication with board members via email
- In conjunction with the Board, develop and implement a marketing program for the market
- Promote and increase the customer base of the market.
- Receive input from vendors and others to improve the market
The below attributes or skill are required for the position
- Conflict resolution
- Management experience
- Food Safe Certification (if you do not have this, you will be required to take the course)
- Social Media experience
- Have to be bonded
- Valid driver’s license and access to a motor vehicle
- Ability to safely and routinely lift loads of 30lbs to waist level (e.g. – outdoor signage, Market tables & displays)
The below attributes or skill sets are considered an asset for any potential applicant
- Cash handling / banking
- Grant writing
- Event organization
Compensation will be at the rate of $17.50/hour.
This is a full-time (35 hours/week) position running from April 1st to December 22nd, 2018.
Specific office hours will be set at the start of the season but the successful applicant will be required to work Saturdays (the Market day) and be available for occasional evening meetings of the Board or other committees.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com by Monday, March 26, 2018. Please indicate if there are any Saturdays between May 6th and December 23 rd. where you would not be available. Please include your name in the title of the documents you submit.